Department of Life Sciences
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
The University of Tokyo
The main interest of research in the Dexterity Lab is the perception and action dynamics in controlling and learning highly-skilled movements such as ball-throwing, baseball batting, long-distance running, music (e.g., piano and drum) performance, street dance, skiing, and sumo wrestling, and so on. We combine experimental (psychological, behavioral, neurophysiological) and theoretical (mathematical) approaches to understand spatiotemporal (self-)organization of skilled human movements. Our research will contribute to improving learning environment, preventing maladaptive plastic changes of the brain activity during learning, and achieving best performance through understanding critical constraints (or control parameters) over the performance.
- Miyata, K., Varlet, M., Miura, A., Kudo, K., & Keller, P. E. (In press). Interpersonal visual interaction induces local and global stabilisation of rhythmic coordination. Neuroscience Letters.
- Miura, A., Fujii, S, Okano, M, Kudo, K, & Nakazawa, K. (In press) Upper rate limits for one-to-one auditory-motor coordination involving whole-body oscillation: A study of street dancers and non-dancers. Journal of Experimental Biology.
- Usui, N., Okumura, M., & Kudo, K. (In press) Expertise ｄifferences in movement switching in Kendo players. International Journal of Sport and Health Science.
- Yamamoto, K, Shinya, M, & Kudo, K. (2018) Asymmetric adaptability to temporal constraints among coordination patterns differentiated at early stages of learning in juggling. Frontiers in Psychology. 9:807. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018. 00807.
Yamamoto, H., Shinya, M., & Kudo, K. (2018) Cognitive bias for the distribution of ball landing positions in amateur tennis players. Journal of Motor Behavior. doi.org/10.1080/00222895.2018.1440523.
- Miyata, K., Varlet, M., Miura, A., Kudo, K., & Keller, P. E. (2017) Modulation of individual auditory-motor coordination dynamics through interpersonal visual coupling. Scientific Reports, 7:16220. doi: 10.1038/s41598. [Link]
- Okano, M., Shinya, M., & Kudo, K. (2017) Paired synchronous rhythmic finger tapping without an external timing cue shows greater speed increases relative to those for solo tapping. Scientific Reports. 7: 43987, doi:10.1038/srep43987. [Link]
- Shinya, M., Tsuchiya, S., Yamada, Y., Nakazawa, K., Kudo, K., & Oda, S. (2017) Pitching form determines probabilistic structure of errors in pitch location. Journal of Sports Sciences, 1-6. doi:10.1080/02640414.2016.1258484.
- Ota, K., Shinya, M., & Kudo, K. (2016) Sub-optimality in motor planning is retained throughout 9 days practice of 2250 trials. Scientific Reports. 6: 37181, doi: 10.1038/srep37181.
- Miura, A., Fujii, S., Okano, M., Kudo, K., & Nakazawa, K. (2016) Finger-to-beat coordination skill of non-dancers, street dancers, and the world champion of a street-dance competition. Frontiers in Psychology, 7:542, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00542.
- Ota, K., Shinya, M., & Kudo, K. (2015) Motor planning under temporal uncertainty is suboptimal when the gain function is asymmetric. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience. doi: 10.3389/fncom.2015.00088.
- Yoshie, M., Sakai, N., Ohtsuki, T., & Kudo, K. (2015) Slow-down exercise reverses sensorimotor reorganization in focal hand dystonia: A case study of a pianist. International Journal of Neurorehabilitation, 2(2), 1000157. doi: 10.4172/2376-0281.1000157.
- Miura, A., Fujii, S. Yamamoto, Y., & Kudo, K. (2015) Motor control of rhythmic dance from a dynamical systems perspective: A review. Journal of Dance Medicine & Science, 19, 11-21.
- Miyata, K. & Kudo, K. (2014) Mutual stabilization of rhythmic vocalization and whole-body movement. PLoS ONE, 9(12): e115495, doi:10.1371/journal.pone. 0115495.
- Nakata, H., Miura, A., Yoshie, M., Higuchi, T. & Kudo, K. (2014) Differences in trunk rotation during baseball batting between skilled players and unskilled novices. Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, 3, 457-466.
- Kudo, K., Hirashima, M., & Miura, A. (2014) Preparation and control of quick and fast movements: Neurophysiological and dynamical perspectives. Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, 3, 73-83.
- Miura, A., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Nakazawa, K. (2014) Effects of long-term practice on coordination between different joint motions in street dancers. Arts Biomechanics, 2, 55-65.
- Hirano, T., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Kinoshita, H. (2013) Orofacial muscular activity and related skin movement during the preparatory and sustained phases of tone production on the French horn. Motor Control, 17, 256-272.
- Miura, A., Kudo, K., Nakazawa, K. (2013) Action-perception coordination dynamics of whole-body rhythmic movement in stance: A comparison between street dancers and non-dancers. Neuroscience Letters, 544, 157-162.
- Miura, A., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Kanehisa, H., Nakazawa, K. (2013) Relationship between muscle co-contraction and proficiency in whole-body sensorimotor synchronization: A comparison study of street dancers and non-dancers. Motor Control, 17, 18-33.
- Nakata, H., Miura, A., Yoshie, M., & Kudo, K. (2012) Differences in the head movement during baseball batting between skilled players and novices. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26, 2632-2640.
- Nakata, H., Miura, A., Yoshie, M., & Kudo, K. (2012) Electromyographic activity of lower limbs to stop baseball batting. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26, 1461-1468.
- Kudo, K., Miyazaki, M., Sekiguchi, H., Kadota, H., Fujii, S., Miura, A., Yoshie, M., & Nakata, H. (2011) Neurophysiological and dynamical control principles underlying variable and stereotyped movement patterns during skill acquisition. Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, 15, 942-953.
- Miura, A., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Kanehisa, H. (2011) Coordination modes in sensorimotor synchronization of whole-body movement: A study of street dancers and non-dancers. Human Movement Science, 30, 1260-1271
- Kobori, O., Yoshie, M., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2011) Traits and cognitions of perfectionism and their relation with coping style, effort, achievement, and performance anxiety in Japanese musicians. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 25, 674-679.
- Fujii, S., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Oda, S. (2010) Intrinsic constraint of asymmetry acting as a control parameter on rapid, rhythmic bimanual coordination: A study of professional drummers and non-drummers. Journal of Neurophysiology, 104, 2178-2186.
- Nakata, H., Yoshie, M., Miura, A., & Kudo, K. (2010) Characteristics of the athletes' brain: Evidence from neurophysiology and neuroimaging. Brain Research Reviews, 62, 197-211.
- Nakayama, Y., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2010) Variability and fluctuation in running gait cycle of trained runners and non-runners. Gait & Posture, 31, 331-335.
- Yoshie, M., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2009) Music performance anxiety in skilled pianists: effects of social-evaluative performance situation on subjective, autonomic, and electromyographic reactions. Experimental Brain Research. 199, 117-126.
- Fujii, S., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Oda, S. (2009) Wrist muscle activity during rapid unimanual tapping with a drumstick in drummers and non-drummers. Motor Control. 13, 237-250.
- Yoshie, M., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2009) Motor/autonomic stress responses in a real piano competition. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1169, 368-371.
- Fujii, S., Kudo, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Oda, S. (2009) Tapping performance and underlying wrist muscle activity of non-drummers, drummers, and the world’s fastest drummer. Neuroscience Letters. 459, 69-73.
- Yoshie, M., Shigemasu, K., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2009) Effects of state anxiety on music performance: Relationship between the revised competitive state anxiety inventory-2 subscales and piano performance. Musicae Scientiae, 13, 55-89.
- Yoshie, M., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2008) Effects of psychological stress on state anxiety, electromyographic activity, and arpeggio performance in pianists. Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 23, 120-132.
- Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2008) Adaptive variability in skilled human movements. 人工知能学会論文誌, 23, 151-162.
- Hirashima, M., Kudo, K., Watarai, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2007) Control of 3D limb dynamics in unconstrained overarm throws of different speeds performed by skilled baseball players. Journal of Neurophysiology, 97, 680-691.
- Hirashima, M. Kudo, K. & Ohtsuki, T. (2007) A new non-orthogonal decomposition method to determine effective torques for three-dimensional joint rotation. Journal of Biomechanics, 40, 871-882.
- Kudo, K., Park, H., Kay, B. A., & Turvey, M. T. (2006) Environmental coupling modulates the attractors of rhythmic coordination. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 32, 599-609.
- Kadota, H., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2004) Time-series pattern changes related to movement rate in synchronized human tapping, Neuroscience Letters, 370, 97-101.
- Kudo, K., Miyazaki, M., Kimura, T., Yamanaka, K., Kadota, H., Hirashima, Nakajima, Y., Nakazawa, K., Ohtsuki, T. （2004） Selective activation and deactivation of brain activity in speeded and precisely timed responses: an fMRI study. NeuroImage, 22, 1291-1301.
- Miyazaki, M., Nakajima, Y., Kadota, H., Chitose, K., Ohtsuki, T., & Kudo, K. （2004） 1/f-type fluctuation in human visuomotor transformation. Neuroreport, 15, 1133-1136.
- Ohgane, K., Ei, S., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. （2004） Emergence of adaptability to time delay in bipedal locomotion. Biological Cybernetics, 90, 125-132.
- Hirashima, M., Ohgane, K., Kudo, K., Hase, K., & Ohtsuki, T. （2003）Counteractive relationship between the interaction torque and muscle torque at the wrist is predestined in ball-throwing. Journal of Neurophysiology, 90, 1449 -1463.
- Hirashima, M., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. （2003）Utilization and compensation of interaction torques during ball-throwing movements. Journal of Neurophysiology, 89, 1784-1796.
- Hirashima, M., Kadota, H., Sakurai, S., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2002) Sequential muscle activity and its functional role in the upper extremity and trunk during overarm throwing. Journal of Sports Sciences, 20, 301-310.
- Miyazaki, M., Kadota, H., Kudo, K., Masani, K., & Ohtsuki, T. （2001）Fractal correlation of initial trajectory dynamics vanishes at the movement end point in human rapid goal-directed movements. Neuroscience Letters, 304, 173-176.
- Kudo, K., Tsutsui, S, Ishikura, T., Ito, T., & Yamamoto, Y. （2000） Compensatory coordination of release parameters in a throwing task. Journal of Motor Behavior, 32, 337-345.
- Kudo, K., Ookoshi, T., Katou, K., Ueda, M. （1998）Visual aid for motor skill learning. Journal of 3-Dimensional Images: International Conference Issue, 12, 7-12.
- Kudo, K. & Ohtsuki, T.（1998） Functional modification of agonist-antagonist electromyographic activity for rapid movement inhibition. Experimental Brain Research, 122, 23-30.
- Anii, A., & Kudo, K.（1997） Effects of instruction and practice on the length-reproduction task using the Muler-Lyer figure. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 85, 819-825.
- Yoshie, M., Shigemasu, K., Kudo, K., & Ohtsuki, T. (2008) Multidimensional anxiety and music performance: An exploratory application of the zones of optimal functioning model. In P. Buchwald, T. Ringeisen & M. Eysenck (Eds.), Stress and anxiety - application to life span development and health promotion (pp. 163-171). Berlin: Logos Verlag.
- Kudo, K., Fujii, S., Ohtsuki, T., & Oda, S. (2007) Motor automaticity as an emergent property of a dynamical system. In S. Cummins-Sebree, M. A. Riley & K. Shockley (Eds.), Studies in perception & action IX (pp. 28-31). Mahwah: NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Kudo, K. & Inomata, K. （1995） Ballistic movement can be anticipatively controlled. In Fu, F. H. & Ng, M. -L. （Eds.） Sport psychology: Perspectives and practices toward the 21st century. Hong Kong: Glory, pp. 257-260.
Kazutoshi Kudo, Ph. D., Associate Professor
Department of Life Sciences
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
The University of Tokyo
Komaba 3-8-1, Meguro-Ku
Tokyo, 153-8902, JAPAN